Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Awake Watching the World: Birds Reaction To Noise



Every month,one of my friend gave provides me a new issue of Awake!. Awake! is a magazine published by Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm not a member of Jehovah's Witnesses but I like reading it especially the watching the world area. I like to share one article in this area with the title "Bird's Reaction to Noise."

It says that.. some birds go to great lengths to make themselves heard over city clamor. While urban noise may be a nuisance for humans, it can be a question of "life and death" for birds, says New Scientist magazine, since males sing to "attract mates and demarcate their territory." Because city noise is louder at low frequencies, certain birds make their songs more audible by singing at night or by raising their volume or pitch. What is more, this adaptability is not limited to urban birds, says the magazine. Those living near "water falls and river torrents also sing at higher frequencies."


I hope you learn a lesson form this issue.